In most cases, setup takes minutes!
Welcome to Roost! It's easy to get going with your Smart Battery, and this page will take you through setup step-by-step. You don't need any tools or hubs – you just need a few things to get started with your Smart Battery:
- A smoke alarm that uses a 9-volt battery for backup or primary power
- An iOS or Android smartphone
- A Wi-Fi® network (and password if you have one)
Step 1: Get the Roost app and create your account
If you don't already have an account, you'll need to create an account with Roost. If you have an account, sign in from this screen.
To create your account:
- Enter your smartphone number
- Press “Continue”
Step 2: Connect your Smart Battery
Add A Smart Battery
Choose a Location in your Home
IMPORTANT: During setup, you must be connected to a Wi-Fi network that is in physical proximity to where the alarm with the Smart Battery will reside.
Find Your Network
Enter Wi-Fi Password
Find Your Network
As part of setup, the Smart Battery will play a 10-second audio tone. We recommend that you are in a quiet area and get ready to connect by doing the following:
- Start by placing your Roost Smart Battery on a flat surface with the terminals facing you.
- Locate the speaker on your smartphone
- On the iPhone, the speaker is located on the bottom of the phone
- The speaker location on Android phones varies by model. The speaker is usually on the front or back of the phone. If you are unsure where your speaker is located, you can refer to our Help Center article.
- You'll be asked to turn up the speaker volume on your phone so that the Roost Battery can be programmed using audio signal from your phone.
- Place your phone on a flat surface with the speaker approximately 1/2 inch from the battery so that the battery can hear the audio being played by the app.
- Press the “Connect” button when you're ready to start the audio tone and Smart Battery connection process. After you begin the connection process, your Smart Battery will begin to transfer the data from the phone to the Roost Cloud via the audio tone. In less than 30 seconds, you should see this success screen.
- If you do not have success with connecting and instead see the following screen, check that your Wi-Fi connection and password are correct. Tap "Try Again." If you are still not getting a Success screen, refer to the Troubleshooting page.
Step 3: Install and Test the Smart Battery in your Smoke Alarm
Install your Smart Battery in your smoke alarm, inserting it just as you would a conventional 9V battery.
Testing Your Alarm
Congratulations, you've set up your Smart Battery! Roost can now help you remotely monitor and protect your loved ones in your home.
Get more assurance with other Roost Smart Battery app features
What happens when I receive an alert notification on my smartphone?
Most of the time, your Smart Battery will be silently and reliably working to monitor your home's smoke alarm. In the case of alert, you'll receive a notification on your smartphone. You will also be able to open the app to silence your alarm, see which of your invited monitors are near the alarm, or call emergency contacts.
If you tap on this notification, it'll open up the Roost app and reveal several options:
- Call Emergency Contact
- View Monitors
- Snooze Alarm
Snooze the Alarm
Add Monitors and emergency contacts.
One of the key advantages of a Roost-enabled smoke alarm is that you can invite other trusted people to receive notices of an alarm in your home. You can also set up easy access to emergency numbers.
To get the most out of your Roost Smart Battery we recommend you take the time to customize some additional settings and familiarize yourself with the application:
- Invite Monitors for each of your alarms. A monitor is someone you invite to receive notifications when your alarm is activated.
Inviting neighbors or other family members who live in your home to be monitors of your Roost-enabled smoke alarms increases the likelihood that someone will be able to take action in the case of an emergency. This is especially important when you're away from home.
When you invite a monitor they will be asked to install the Roost app so they can get alerts in case of emergency.
Adjust your Settings
To invite a Monitor, go to your Settings, and "Add a Monitor." Follow the app instructions to invite contacts from your smartphone address book.
Add a Monitor
Your invitee will receive a text invitation to monitor your alarm, along with a link to download the Roost app.
View your Monitors
If an alert notification comes in for an alarm, everyone who is monitoring the alarm will be able to view which Monitors are present near the alarm. They will also be able to call any of the Monitors to touch base.
- Setting up an emergency contacts. We recommend to consider which emergency contact phone number you'd like to have one-touch access to call in case of an alert.
The app comes pre-programmed with 9-1-1. However, if you dial 9-1-1 from your mobile phone, chances are your call will be routed through a number of operators. Or if you're away from home, you may be routed to the emergency hotline for your current location, not for the location of your alarm. To reduce the response time in case of emergency we recommend you find and program the phone number for your local fire services into your Roost App. In the case of fire, you'll have fast access to your local fire department.
Checking the status of your Smart BatteryAt any time, you can check on the status of each of your smoke alarms and the Smart Batteries inside of them. The Battery status screen will show you the status, including if your battery has completed a recent health check, has a low-power status, or has missed a recent check-in with the Roost .
Battery is Working
Status of All Batteries
If you tap on a battery name, you'll get to the alarm detail screen. On this detail screen, you can see the location of your alarm, that particular battery's actvity history, battery life and assigned monitors. You can also enter the building address where the battery is installed.