Let us guide you through the installation of your new Roost Smart Alarm
Welcome to Roost! It's easy to get going with your RSA-400 or RSA-200 Smart Alarm, and this page will take you through setup step-by-step. To install your alarm, you'll need:
- Screwdriver and household ladder
- An iOS or Android smartphone
- A Wi-Fi® network (and password if you have one)
Please follow the specific instructions in the manual that is included with your smoke alarm. Our installation video shows these steps. You may also download a copy of the manual from our Help Center Printable Guides section. The general steps are:
Step 1: Install your Smart Alarm
- Turn off power to your alarm circuit. CAUTION: Failure to turn off the electrical power before installation may result in serious electrical shock, injury, or death.
- Remove the existing alarm by twisting the smoke alarm from its mounting bracket.
- Using a screwdriver, remove the old mounting bracket from the ceiling junction box.
- Gently pull the home AC wires through the center hole on the Roost Smart Alarm mounting bracket. Align the new mounting bracket with the holes on the ceiling junction box.
- Secure the Roost Smart Alarm bracket to the junction box using the screws that were previously used to connect the old mounting bracket.
- After verifying that the power to your alarm circuit is off, carefully disconnect your household AC wires from the old alarm's wiring harness.
- Connect the white wire from the wiring harness included with your Roost Smart Alarm to the white household wires using a wire nut.
- Connect the black wire from the wiring harness to the black household wires using a wire nut.
- If your alarms are interconnected (when one sounds, all the alarms sound), connect the yellow wire from the wiring harness to the interconnect wires of your household circuit. For alarms that are used as single non-interconnected, stand-alone alarms, do not connect the yellow wire to anything. Insulate this wire (tape it) in place to make certain the yellow wire cannot contact any metal parts.
- Attach the wiring harness plug to pins on back of the Roost Smart Alarm. The plug will only fit one way and will snap into place. Gently tug on wiring harness to be sure it is attached securely, and then gently push excess wiring into the junction box.
Attaching the Smart Alarm to the Mounting Bracket
- Place the Roost Smart Alarm on the mounting bracket and turn it clockwise to snap into place.
- Now you can proceed with setting up your Roost Smart Battery!
- Questions? Feel free to contact us
Step 2: Get the Roost app and create your account
If you don't already have an account, you'll need to create an account with Roost. If you have an account, sign in from this screen.
To create your account:
- Select your Country
- Enter your smartphone number
- Press “Continue”
Step 3: Connect your Smart Battery
Add A Smart Battery
Choose a Location in your Home
IMPORTANT: During setup, you must be connected to a Wi-Fi network that is in physical proximity to where the alarm with the Smart Battery will reside. Please make sure that your Wi-Fi network is working and that you enter in the correct Wi-Fi network password.
Find Your Network
Enter Wi-Fi Password
Find Your Network
As part of setup, the Smart Battery will play a 10-second audio tone. We recommend that you are in a quiet area and get ready to connect by doing the following:
- Start by placing your Roost Smart Battery on a flat surface with the terminals facing you.
- Locate the speakers on your smartphone
- On the iPhone, the speaker is located on the bottom of the phone
- The speaker location on Android phones varies by model. The speaker is usually on the front or back of the phone. If you are unsure where your speaker is located, you can refer to our Help Center article.
- You'll be asked to turn up the speaker volume on your phone so that the Roost Battery can be programmed using the audio signal from your phone.
- Place your phone on a flat surface with the speaker approximately 1/2 inch from the battery so that the battery can hear the audio being played by the app.
- Press the “Connect” button when you're ready to start the audio tone and Smart Battery connection process. After you begin the connection process, your Smart Battery will begin to transfer the data from the phone to the Roost Cloud via the audio tone. In less than 30 seconds, you should see this success screen. After your battery successfully connects, please add your alarm information to the Roost app.
- If you do not have success with connecting and instead see the following screen, check that your Wi-Fi connection and password are correct. Tap "Try Again." If you are still not getting a Success screen, refer to the Smart Battery FAQ page.
Step 4: Install and Test the Smart Battery in your Smoke Alarm
Congratulations, you've set up your Smart Alarm! Roost can now help you remotely monitor and protect your loved ones in your home.
Get more assurance with other Roost Smart Home app features
What happens when I receive an alert notification on my smartphone?
Most of the time, your Smart Alarm will be silently and reliably working to monitor your family's safety. In the case of an alarm, you'll receive a notification on your smartphone. You will also be able to open the app to see which of your invited monitors are near the alarm, or call your emergency contact.
If you tap on this notification, it will open up the Roost app and reveal two options:
- Call Emergency Contact
- View Monitors
Add Monitors and emergency contacts.
One of the key advantages of a Roost Smart Smoke Alarm is that you can invite other trusted people to receive notices of an alarm in your home. You can also set up easy access to emergency numbers. To get the most out of your Roost Smart Smoke Alarm we recommend you take the time to customize some additional settings and familiarize yourself with the application:
- Invite Monitors for each of your alarms. A monitor is someone you invite to receive notifications when your alarm is activated.
Inviting neighbors or other family members who live in your home to be monitors of your Roost Smart Smoke Alarm increases the likelihood that someone will be able to take action in the case of an emergency. This is especially important when you're away from home. When you invite a monitor they will be asked to install the Roost app so they can get alerts in case of emergency.
Adjust your Settings
To invite a Monitor, go to your Settings, and "Add Monitors." Follow the app instructions to invite contacts from your smartphone address book.
Add a Monitor
Your invitee will receive a text invitation to monitor your alarm, along with a link to download the Roost app.
View your Monitors
If an alert notification comes in for an alarm, everyone who is monitoring the alarm will be able to view which Monitors are present near the alarm. They will also be able to call any of the Monitors to touch base.
- Setting up an emergency contacts. We recommend to consider which emergency contact phone number you'd like to have one-touch access to call in case of an alert.
The app comes pre-programmed with 9-1-1. However, if you dial 9-1-1 from your mobile phone, chances are your call will be routed through a number of operators. Or if you're away from home, you may be routed to the emergency hotline for your current location, not for the location of your alarm. To reduce the response time in case of emergency we recommend you find and program the phone number for your local fire services into your Roost App. In the case of fire, you'll have fast access to your local fire department.
Checking the status of your Smart BatteryAt any time, you can check on the status of each of your smoke alarms and the Smart Batteries inside of them. The Battery status screen will show you the status, including if your battery has completed a recent health check, has a low-power status, or has missed a recent check-in with the Roost .
Battery is Working
Status of All Batteries
If you tap on a battery name, you'll get to the alarm detail screen. On this detail screen, you can see the location of your alarm, that particular battery's actvity history, battery life and assigned monitors. You can also enter the building address where the battery is installed.